How do you request mediation?

The Wisconsin Special Education Mediation System (WSEMS) Intake Coordinator/ Administrator will help you with the process. WSEMS is a neutral agency that is not a part of the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, any school district, or any parents’ advocacy organization.

  • You can contact Jane Burns, WSEMS Intake Coordinator/Administrator:
  • 888-298-3857 (Toll Free Voice)
  • 262-538-1348  (FAX)
  • Write: WSEMS, P.O. Box 829, Madison, WI 53701-0829
  • Either parents or school administrators (or both together) may request mediation by mail or fax.
  • If only one party requests mediation, the WSEMS Administrator will contact the other party to ask for consent to the mediation, talk about the benefits of mediation, and explain how the process works.
  • This is a voluntary process.  If either the parents or school say no, a mediation session will not go forward.