Susan D. Mainzer, Minneapolis, MN
Name: Susan D. Mainzer
Location: Available throughout Wisconsin
- Law Degree (JD) and Bachelor of Arts, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Special Education Mediation & IEP Facilitation Training – WSEMS/Marquette University.
- Participated in and presented hundreds of hours of mediation classes.
Current Positions: Mediator, Coach, Trainer & Organization Consultant
- Private Practice Mediator for more than 20 years
- Special Education Mediator in Wisconsin (WSEMS)since panel’s inception in 1999
- Minnesota’s Special Education Mediation panel for over ten years
- Mediation trainer and instructor in classes on communication, conflict management and creative problem solving to business staff and families.
- Adjunct Professor, Conflict Studies, MBA – Hamline University
- Life Coach – help people meet work and personal goals
- Trainer, Facilitator and Workplace Consultant, Human Resources Department, Metropolitan Council, St. Paul, MN
- Community Mediator: Disputes between upset neighbors, landlords and tenants, police and citizens. (1984-Present)
- Divorce Mediator: Financial and parenting decisions; communication and high emotion disputes; diversity issues.(1986-Present)
- Workplace Disputes: Employer – employee, as well as employee-employee disputes that arise in the workplace environment.(1988-Present)
- Personal Injury Mediation: Settlement negotiations with attorneys, insurance representatives and injured people. (1990-Present)
- Farm Mediation: Disputes involving farmers and lenders in Wisconsin. (1993-Present)
- Special Education Mediation: Issues related to the provision of special education services. (1999- present)
Philosophy: I believe in creating a safe environment for people to talk honestly and communicate effectively with each other. I encourage everyone to listen deeply and to be open to new ideas. I find that often people come up with creative resolutions that surprise each other. In working as a team, people can create durable, doable, agreements. Oftentimes, stronger relationships can occur or be rebuilt. It’s my pleasure to be a witness to the hard work done in mediation.